Newt Congdon was born in 1905, just down the road on Beach Street. As a young adult Newt worked along side his friend Dexter Fairbank at Collier Ford which is now the Rockland Trust parking lot. This was the local Ford dealership prior to Rodman buying the franchise and moving to Rt 1.
Newt and Dexter decided to leave Collier Ford and start their own business. Congdon Auto Center Inc originated as Fairbank Congdon Co, a partnership formed by Dexter Fairbank and Newton Congdon in 1928. The company started out selling new Pontiac and Oldsmobile vehicles, as well as providing repairs services. Their business at the time also served as Jenny a gas stop.
Starting a new business always has many challenges and with the Great Depression right around the corner Newt faced some tough times. But business took off after world war II . With the passing of Dexter Fairbank in 1951, Newt moved the Oldsmobile Pontiac franchise from Main st to South st on Foxborough common. Newt continued as a single proprietorship until it was incorporated as Congdon Pontiac Oldsmobile in 1975.
Second generation brothers Bruce and Dana added the Auto Body division in 1980 and continued the new car dealership franchise until the late 1990’s. After becoming an independent service business in 1997 a third generation took the reins. After a few tough transition years, Congdon Auto is now going strong. With brothers Gary, Scott, and Jay all making valuable contributions and trying to remember what was done before them to have a business this long in town and hopefully continue it well into the 21st century.